Translate

November 30, 2020

My journey to motherhood

Being passionate about my microbiologist career whose first priority was only work, never ever thought that priorities will change after the birth of my first child. And I am happy whatever I chose, but this journey as a new mother was not so easy. Learnt a lot and still learning, becoming mature day by day, multitasking, became patient and the list goes on. Thanks to my stars that I was surrounded by lovely people, my Ob-Gyn, hubby, family, my cook, house help and my neighbor. It was a smooth pregnancy and was enjoying it.


I will split this whole thing in 3 phases- 

1. Getting pregnant 

2. Pregnancy 

3. After birth

1.Getting pregnant- After enjoying married life for 5 years, we thought of family planning. We were anxious about the positive news. At last I got pregnant. Yayy!

2. Pregnancy- When we came to know about the long awaited good news, me and hubby were on cloud nine. We both enjoyed full fledged this period. He pampered and took care of me like a kid and I enjoyed it. Attended prenatal classes (definitely will suggest this to all), started doing Lamaze breathing exercises, yoga, meditation from second trimester under a certified trainer, read maternity books, joined mommy groups, listened music every morning with a cup of tea. All these helped me very much to prepare for  my post delivery. I must say this was the best phase. Because we got our Us time also.


3. After birth- One fine morning during 37th week of pregnancy (gestational age), my water broke. I was rushed to hospital after consulting my gynae. In the mid morning I delivered a beautiful baby. It was the best feeling of my life. Pain due C-section stitches, struggling to breastfeed, all these issues vanishes whenever I see my baby. Now the challenges started like taking care of the baby’s needs, my own emotional condition due to hormonal imbalance, health, relationship with the partner, household work, thinking to continue my job or take a break and so on. When my mom went to her home after living and helping us for 2 months I was feeling all alone and helpless. Me and hubby couldn’t able to manage everything. When he was in office, baby did not want to get down from my lap and had to hold him whole day. I cried for petty things. Initial months were very tough to manage. Gradually we as a parent became more patient, mature and calm. 


Two things will suggest for expecting parents -

1. Attend prenatal classes if not possible then read books/websites related to childcare, breastfeeding, ppd, parenting and join mommy groups. It will definitely help new parents to be ready.

2. Support-Informational and emotional support is very important. Lack of support can lead to depression. Mothers can get social support through informal networks of friends and family, or, they can experience support through more formal channels, such as psychotherapy. Emotional support from the partner is crucial.  It is very important that you are surrounded by positive and caring people especially during pregnancy and after birth.

We can approach below professionals if we face any challenges-

Lactation counsellor/consultant- Many new mothers do not know whom to approach for breastmilk or breastfeeding related issues. They can take help from a lactation counsellor/consultant.

Therapist- Most of us slip into depression, and don’t know whom to talk with, or we feel uncomfortable to share due to societal talks. Identify the signs of postpartum depression and immediately take help from your doctor/ psychotherapist. 

Trainer- It is hard to get time for us but exercise also helps to engage ourselves. It is a great stress reliever and keeps us fit. Before starting randomly, first get a green signal from your gynae then start doing yoga, meditation, exercise under a trainer.

After becoming a parent, I realized we all can manage everything and anything.


Priyanka Majumdar  (Marvelous Mom of Two Adorable Kids)



2 comments:

  1. Hi mam
    To be honest, I don’t know how you manage to do such things .Very well done!
    "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to read ur journey and I can relate with mine too. Best wishes to you and ur family♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks You